To view this ‘Action Alert’ on our OCA National Center website, click on link below in red.
ACTION ALERT: All Students Count Day of Action – Social Media – OCA National Center.
ACTION ALERT: All Students Count Day of Action – Social Media
July 23, 2014
On July 23rd, AALDEF, APALA, JACL, OCA, National Women’s Law Center, and SEARAC are hosting a rally and press conference at 10 am at the US Capitol’s House Triangle for the All Students Count Act in coordination with the office of Representative Mike Honda (D-CA17), and we are asking students, educators, and everyone concerned about public education in the United States to stand with us for better data collection and reporting to better support students and that better reflects the incredible diversity of our country. We would like to ask your support as an endorsing organization for the All Students Count Act in the following ways:
#1. Would you be willing to take a picture or shoot an instagram video to show your support of the #AllStudentsCount campaign? You can do one of the following:
• Take a picture with the #AllStudentsCount sign. Please check the box with the major race category that you belong to, and fill in the blank with the ethnicity that you identify with. (e.g. “I’m not just Asian, I’m Cambodian-American).
• Take a picture with your own sign to support #AllStudentsCount
• Create an instagram video for why you support this issue.
Send all pictures or videos to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can add it to the campaign website athttp://allstudentscount.tumblr.com/ but also feel free to post your pictures and videos on your social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr) using #AllStudentsCount.
#2. Help promote the All Students Count Act on your social media network. We have provided a handout of tweets that can be pre-loaded into your social media feed for the day of the event, as well as the days leading up to the event.
#3. Share the RSVP link for the day of action with your networks.
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/314088112084534/
• EventBrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/all-students-count-act-day-of-action-tickets-12245164617
#4. Wear a blue shirt and come to the press conference and rally on July 23!
About the All Students Count Day of Action: The purpose of the day is to encourage everyone to show support for the All Students Count Act by displaying the incredible diversity of our country and how we do not fit the simple, outdated race categories that the US Department of Education currently uses. July 23rdalso serves as an opportunity to encourage conversation around how better data collection and reporting can help improve educational outcomes for everyone and how schools and institutions can better disaggregate data.
The campaign website: allstudentscount.tumblr.com
• For all endorsers: Better data to better support students
• For communities of color: I’m not just ________, I’m ________!
• For women: Report better data for boys and girls in schools
• For disabilities groups: Report better data for students with disabilities
Primary Hash Tag: #AllStudentsCount
Secondary Hash Tag: #iCount #beyondthebox
Now you may ask yourself, I’m not a person of color, a woman or a student with a disability… Well the campaign isn’t only for people of color, women, or students with disabilities. It’s for all individuals who formally or informally touch the lives of students. We want to send a clear message that all students count in American schools, so all students can have access to a high quality public education and an opportunity to fulfill their dreams.
We hope that we can count on you for this important action. For any questions, please contact Rita Pin Ahrens at email@example.com.